“We’re seeing competition pop up like mushrooms in the rain.”
It’s a challenge that came up yesterday in my weekly B2B SaaS CEO Mastermind. No surprise – opportunity attracts competitors. The question is, what do you do with it?
In essence, you have two options.
- Follow your competitors in all their acts
- Ignore them – and set your own plan
I realize all too well from my career it can be hard to ignore the competition. Because when they win, the easy question is always: ‘What do they have that you don’t?’
Still, that’s the wrong question. Here’s why:
It drives you towards the aim of being better. And that’s a battle you can’t win. You don’t have one competitor; you have many. So it’s impossible to attempt to be better than all of them.
The opportunity lies in setting your own plan.
- Become a magnet for the right customers. No single organization is the same, wants the same, or acts the same—leverage that.
- Take position: dare to stand for or against something. This way, you become incomparable for the right customers.
- Craft an irresistible value proposition – one that when the right customer hears it, it becomes a no-brainer to work with you
It’s the foundation for predictable traction. It’s a choice, as simple as that. And it works, irrespective if you have 10 or 1000 competitors – or if they are 10x or even 100x your size.
Question for you to reflect upon:
On a scale of 1-10: What’s your ability to play by your own rules to achieve your long-term aspiration? What can you change tomorrow?
Like this message?
Every day I send out a short 2 min reflection on shaping a B2B SaaS business no one can ignore. Join the 1,000+ subscribers that have become fans.
Not sure? Browse the archive