“Have you ever reflected on how to make your price list an asset to shorten your sales process?” I asked one a member of my CEO mastermind program last week.
I challenged him during our monthly 1-to-1 as we prepared an important topic for his next board meeting.
“What do you mean?” he asked.
“Well, is your pricelist just a formality, or does it make the total offering irresistible?” I replied
𝗛𝗲𝗿𝗲’𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴
The typical way we treat our pricelist is like a list of ‘what’ we offer – and put a price on it, and most of the time, that’s a per-user/ per month model.
I’ve been responsible for pricing at Unit4 and have seen all the variants. It’s super predictable. There’s no surprise factor.
So what if we’d break that pattern – and turn it into something that gives that final push to make buying a no-brainer?
And I don’t mean making it cheaper. I mean making it more valuable. Irresistibly valuable.
- Instead of creating a three-flavor model that’s typically named Lite / Professional / Enterprise – name each pricelist around the desirable transformations your customers long for.
- Instead of pricing the features – price the to-be-expected outcomes.
- Instead of stating their limitations, why not state your guarantees with each model?
And I can go on like this.
Make your pricelist all about what’s going on in the mind of your customers
- What they buy is outcomes and the guarantees, not your features
- What stops them from buying are the risks they see – address that
- They want choice – give them three options, each one more irresistible than the other.
I guarantee you – they’ll notice and reward you for it even if you’re 2x the price of the nearest competitor.
In their mind, your competitors will be the most expensive/risky option.
𝗠𝘆 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘁𝗼 𝗿𝗲𝗳𝗹𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝘂𝗽𝗼𝗻
Is your current SaaS pricelist an attractor or a detractor in the deal? What if you’d change that?
Be Remarkable – be different.