It drives me nuts how high potential business software companies purposely limit their potential and don’t even realize it.
In the past 2 week’s I’ve spotted five ‘habits’ that kill momentum
- Pleasing all Ranks – Having to please everybody in the hierarchy to have their say – and with that turning potentially strong messaging, positioning and segmentation into something meaningless, mediocre, and ‘me-too’.
- Chasing size of the TAM (rather than the size of the ‘problem’)– The believe you need to go after the biggest Total Addressable Market “cause if you’d win just 1%….”
- Consistently mistaking features for benefits
- Shameless Self-love: Believing you’re ‘the leader’ – and that your customers care about that.
- Being obsessed with competition (not your customer) – and let that drive your priorities.
What strikes me most is that so many companies have developed a complacency for this behavior. Telling themselves a story they’re doing fantastic, and with that, find all kinds of arguments why their growth is what it is. Such a dangerous place to get stuck in….
Imagine you’d break with this…
Breaking this starts with the right person to stand up. That could very well be you.
So, what do you believe is stopping you?