It just keeps fascinating me how a single demo can make a difference in the sales process – IF done the right way.
The past three weeks, I’ve hosted a range of “Proof of Value” workshops. It’s how I prefer to call a software demo. Here’s why: It puts everyone in the right mindset: Showcase how you solve the most valuable and critical problem for your customer in the shortest amount of time.
Practicing this as a sales team helps you instantly see what works and what doesn’t. In other words: all participants know where they stand. It’s instantly clear who’s 1-0 ahead, why that is the case, and how that accelerates the sales process.
Back to the question: What characterizes the demos that accelerate the sales process? Here’s my summary of the top 10 aspects I’ve seen do their magic the past weeks:
- It hooks the viewer by diving straight into the essence of the problem while putting it in the context of an urgent situation.
- It takes the buyer on an imaginative (desirable) journey and connects the story to something they want/admire
- It leverages storytelling, analogies, or personal experiences to get complex concepts/situations across in a simple way.
- It’s reflective
- It feels completely human, i.e., conversational, on the same wavelength with the buyer and refrains of jargon.
- It subtly addresses all their frustrations, fears, doubts, and hopes.
- It speaks to their inner voice, i.e., the story that’s going on in their head, i.e., it says a lot without actually saying it.
- It positions the ‘demo-er’ as the guide – a trustworthy person who thoroughly sees, hears and understands them.
- It opens their eyes – tells them what they need to hear (not what they want to hear)
- It flows naturally (strong opening, middle, and end) and ends with a clear but compelling summary of what the buyer will gain.
Question to you: When was the last time you saw your (pre)sales team perform a demo?
If you measure their performance to this list – what rate would you give them on a scale of 1-10?
Ps – What if your team would score 10 out of 10? Here’s how I can help you achieve this: https://valueinspiration.com/workstreams